Monday, August 25, 2008

My Little Yellow Lizard



I receive all sorts of creaturely guests. Mosquitoes come for dinner, at peril of their lives. The beloved little geckos chivilrously climb walls and ceilings to defend me by eating these bloodthirsty mosquito beasts. Tropical birds swoop and perch on the thatched roof of the gazebo to peer at the strange thing underneath, come from far away. They are endlessly amused - approaching cautiously and then flitting away in a flurry, only to repeat a minute later. Brown and green lizards rustle the bushes and check every once in a while to make sure I like the music they are making for me.

But best of all is my little yellow lizard. He's the perfect mix of bold and shy and barely twice the size of my little pinky. Little yellow lizard seems quite enamored, for he courageously slipped under the door to visit in my foreign world of tile floor. Then he scuttles over to the wall, in fear that I might not receive him kindly. Don't fear little yellow lizard. You're my very favorite.

No comments: