Friday, August 15, 2008

As promised, here is a picture of Ingas, our night security guard who loves having conversations of "______... Is it correct?" to learn English. I reply "and how do you say in Kinyarwanda?"


Now - here is a taste of the adventure of making Rwandan produce safe for consumption. First, you buy the produce from the grocery...or better yet...you're cook purchases the produce at the large market (we will be having an excursion the the market next week). I'll make sure to get pictures for you. Then you come home and fill a bowl with some twice boiled and then filtered water with just about a teaspoon of a special purple die. Let them soak for a few minutes and then you can eat without fear of African bacteria. That is the adventure of making fresh fruits and vegatables safe for consumption, complete with pictures of my kitchen and the bowl. It's a little different than the normal Rwandan kitchen.

I like having conversations, with Tom, my host too. With three sons my age or a year or two younger, he fits into the fatherly-ish, protective genra of friendships. In Rwanda, besides managing the guest house, Tom acts as general council for the bank and focuses networking to build contacts for a new NGO that Dale Dawson and Bishop John are setting up (Bridge2Rwanda). In his past life, just outside LA, Tom was a very successful claims attorney. He was not a successful husband. (Both Tom and Melissa are divorced....different divorces. I've appreciated and learned from their perspectives.)

This morning, Tom told me a story about a 14 year old girl found/rescued by International Justice Mission in Indonesia. The girl had been a slave of sex trafficking. the following psalm had been written on her wall. It is pretty moving to think about the context of

Psalm 27, Of David.

1 The LORD is my light and my salvation—
whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the stronghold of my life—
of whom shall I be afraid?

2 When evil men advance against me
to devour my flesh,
when my enemies and my foes attack me,
they will stumble and fall.

3 Though an army besiege me,
my heart will not fear;
though war break out against me,
even then will I be confident.

4 One thing I ask of the LORD,
this is what I seek:
that I may dwell in the house of the LORD
all the days of my life,
to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD
and to seek him in his temple.

5 For in the day of trouble
he will keep me safe in his dwelling;
he will hide me in the shelter of his tabernacle
and set me high upon a rock.

6 Then my head will be exalted
above the enemies who surround me;
at his tabernacle will I sacrifice with shouts of joy;
I will sing and make music to the LORD.

7 Hear my voice when I call, O LORD;
be merciful to me and answer me.

8 My heart says of you, "Seek his face!"
Your face, LORD, I will seek.

9 Do not hide your face from me,
do not turn your servant away in anger;
you have been my helper.
Do not reject me or forsake me,
O God my Savior.

10 Though my father and mother forsake me,
the LORD will receive me.

11 Teach me your way, O LORD;
lead me in a straight path
because of my oppressors.

12 Do not turn me over to the desire of my foes,
for false witnesses rise up against me,
breathing out violence.

13 I am still confident of this:
I will see the goodness of the LORD
in the land of the living.

14 Wait for the LORD;
be strong and take heart
and wait for the LORD.

No comments: