Tuesday, October 7, 2008


Well. Tomorrow I hope to add a fourth African stamp to my passport - Tanzania. Tanzania boarders Rwanda to the east and, in turn, the country is boardered by the Indian Ocean. Tanzania and Dr. Livingstone were personally aquainted.

There may be no new posts from 10 October to 22 October. I will be on private safari around the Serengeti, Ngorongono Crater, and Kilimanjaro. Upon my return, expect photos of big game - lions, hippos, rhinos, leopards, elephants. Herds of zebra and antelope rooming the African plain. Then the safari company will fly me to Zanzibar, for a beach holiday. That will hopefully involve scuba diving...and more suntan.

Ruff I know. My life in Africa. I love it. The smells of Africa. The Sky. The hammer of an African rain. A Cook. Day Guard. Night guard. Garden. Fresh chicken. Private safaris. Gorillas. Pristine world class beaches. Massages and pedicures for 1/5th the price of D.C. Gifts from the Rwandan high school boys who shout after me "you're beautiful" when I walk down the street. Spicy discussions with Melissa. Shelagh and Matt too. Archie's stories from all over the world. A steady stream of "as you wish, Princess" from Tom, who has made it his business to make sure I'm cared for in a protective, fatherly way.

I'm not sure anyone will be able to stand me when I get back to the States, including myself. I'm not sure I'll be able to stand being in the States.

The other day Melissa and I chatted about how there are certain things we do to keep a hold on reality. We both do our own food shopping. And cooking. That's why I make effort to be with Rwandan colleagues at Urwego Opportunity or spend a half hour each night with Ingas, helping him improve his English. It's why I talk to the few street beggars that approach me (even though I never give money). That's why I like riding moto taxis and haggling to get the proper price. Getting screamed at by Nyanja's mother, Josephine, equals a reality check. So does trying to cook on a charcoal stove.

The reality checks make me realize I'm going to miss Africa even more. I love Africa. I don't want to leave in 18 days.

2 comments:

Judith Reidy said...

Grace, Are you very familiar with Joseph Conrad's novel Heart of Darkness?

Very telling story about Human nature. Slippery slide or an chance of a lifetime?

Grace said...

Yes. I've read Heart of Darkeness...it is actually set in Congo, to Rwanda's west. I don't think the theme applies in this situation.

I was being sarcastic...sort of. Sarcastic of the being pampered part. Not about loving Africa.