Monday, October 6, 2008


Chantal has told me so many stories about her family and her children, that I really wanted to make a point of meeting them before my all too immenient return to the States...(I really don't want to come back).

After Saturday's chicken adventure, I cleaned myself up and collected some gifts (soccer ball, truck, chocolate, two picture books and a baby doll). Tom dropped Chantal and I off at her home. It's a beautiful home with a really heartwarming story behind it. Chantal and her husband Claude moved from Uganda to Rwanda. They had very little and no place to live but one of Claude's brothers had this house. Dumpy, but at least it was a roof over their heads. For years, Chantal and Claude poured love and blood and sweat into that place, fixing it up into a proper home. They began to build a family in that home.

Well, Claude's brother declared that he was selling the house. Chantal, Claude and their children would be back out on the street. At that time Chantal was cook for the prior Urwego CEO's family - the Brogden's. Jessica loved Chantal...which I can completely understand. I do too. She's honest. I trust her with my money, to shop. She is committed, hardworking and loving. She even raised money in her neighborhood for the Brogden's to help with the cost of airfare for their children.

Well, Jessica went to bat for Chantal in the states and raised enough money from Little Rock Arkansas to buy Chantal and Claude a home.

Do you see why I just had to visit Chantal, to be in her new home and meet her children? Of course, I also had to I come bearing gifts for the children.



Enoch is 6. His name is pronounced the French way. Rebecca is 2 and always doing something adorable like cooking or cleaning. Hoshea (also pronounced the French way) is 9.

The children loved their gifts. In fact, Chantal told me that Rebecca slept with her baby doll that night and the children all woke up at 5;30 Sunday morning so they could play with their toys.

No comments: