Thursday, September 11, 2008

Yesterday was Salomon's birthday celebration...and Josephine's. He turned 2. Josephine turned... I am happy to report that Salomon was very enthusiastic about the cake I made for him from scratch. Whipping that butter by hand with my arm muscles (or lack thereof) was a true labor of love.

Something from dinner last night didn't settle well with my tummy. It was probably the cabbage cheese salad. You ask why I ate a cabbage cheese salad? Well, it looked pretty...and it was for Salomon. Looks can be deceiving. Salomon thought it was pretty too. In fact, he grabbed some from my plate and stuffed it in his mouth. Then there was this little boy grimace. He pulled it immediately out of his mouth and placed it back on the corresponding pile on my plate. Not being a cute little boy celebrating my 2nd birthday, I couldn't quite get away with the same thing. I ate the salad.

Result. Upset stomach and etc. Today, I have had no desire to eat, but have needed to remain hydrated. Instead of a proper lunch I ran out of the bank to grab water from the shop 6 doors down. As always, I stumbled through a Kinyarwanda greeting as I came back through the door, past our armed security guard and the front desk clerk. They always smile and wave back. The armed guard has a little English, but the front desk clerk has almost none. As I past the desk clerk, on my way back she said in perfect English, "We all love you."

So precious. Totally made my day.

No comments: