Monday, May 31, 2010





Gusto Merida mucho. Este es ciudad muy bonito. La Comida da region tiene sabores muchos bienes. La arquitectura es muy interesante – moderno y antiguedad. La musica da personas como una fiesta y eles tienen muchos fiestas.

I like Merida very, very much. This is a very beautiful city. The food of the region has many good flavors. The architecture is very interesting – modern and antique. (I've never seen such a tasteful blend of old and new.) The music of the people is like a party and they have many parties.

Cuando llege (when I arrived), we went to the city center - el centro. Todos Domingos (every Sunday), they close les calles (the streets) around Plaza Grand, the square in the center of town. There is dancing in the streets. Meridians deck their traditional embroidered dresses (vestigos) and fiesta para horas (party for hours). It is colorful and beautiful. My very, very, very Chinese colleague, Xaiochen Wang, leaned over to me and said, “These people are poorer than China, but they are happier.” I smiled. That was the first halfway negative thing I’d ever heard him say about his country. The Meridians endurance through el calor y el humedad (the heat and the humidity) impressed me.

The beach is just 36 kilometers north. My colleagues took off Friday and traveled to see the famous Aztec ruins. As I had an additional project for work, homework for my online class and two applications for school, the timing didn’t quite work for me to join them. Instead I stayed in Merida, completed my work and estude espanol. I hope visit both the ruins and Playa de Carmen soon – maybe this coming weekend. Hopefully, when my Spanish is further along.

In the mean time, here are a handful of photos from

Mi casa



Mi trabajo

El Calle



And the Monument to the revolution



Disfrutar! (I think that means “enjoy”).

My neighborhood (called "colonia") is Montes De Ame. I think it must be were new money in Merida is moving. Some homes are shacks. Others are quite grand...side by side. About a mile towards the west is Gran Plaza (not to be confused with Plaza Grand). Gran Plaza is the equivalent of a mall, containing an upscale Sears, Zara, Cinnabon and plenty of nice clothing stores. I had made the mistake of not packing my black heels. Finding "zapatos com talónes became rather an adventure. Being taller than most Mexicans, I have larger feet. In the first store I asked for "nueve y meia". The salesmen looked at my feet, kindly went in back, only to return shaking his head. What a disappointment. Next I stopped at a less upscale store. The sizes were posted. 23, 24 (which looked like a size 7). No wonder he couldn't find my size. They have an entirely different sizing system and, given my limited Spanish, he didn't bother explaining. I started trying on all types of shoes (some hideous), just to figure out my size. The attendant came over to help me...accept I didn't understand her espanol and she didn't understand my ingles. She got the store manager, who did habra ingles. Thankfully, he understood. I walked out with some painfully high, high heals... In Mexico, I am a size 26.

Another thing I love - the bread and the juice. The typical Yucatanian breakfast is fresh squeezed juice (juga) and sweet breads. The bakery in the grocery is just delightful. I take a tray and walk through a slew of goodies, selecting several to compra (only several because I know I will have to carry them 1 mile, to mi casa). In the US sweats are far too sweet. Here it is not so. You can taste the flavor of the bread. It really is delightful.

In Merida, Mayan and Spanish culture mixes. That shows in the food, the architecture. Its quite interesting. That said, there is a break in the rain. I need to go grab a taxi before it starts up again. (Our first rain came today. I was two blocks from the farmacia. In those two blocks I got absolutely drenched. (I've been waiting in Starbucks...yes. They have Starbucks.)

13 comments:

Counselor Continuing Education said...

Bonita pics!! Gracias

przykazaniameskie said...

like here pleasantly

Deepika Nair said...

Via.com is the best travel agency in india and it looks after all the services associated to ticket reservation. Via.com, tourists can also get the reservation of the bus tickets by online reservation with just a click of a mouse. With the online system of the company one can find all the information related to the coming and the departure of the different busses from one town to another. The organization's web site gives total information about the boarding landmarks of the bus. Via.com providing apsrtc online booking bus bookings bus tickets booking, bus booking online, bus tickets, online bus booking, bus ticket bookings

David & Juanita Anum said...

so jealous,how gorges!

Aamer Waqas Chaudhary said...

Good pictures!

Anonymous said...

The gods are whimsical managers who conduct slaughters and massacres out of spite:::
Tuscon was about waffles while Carson City was about pancakes. Who's next? Denny's?
Hurricanes Ivan, Wilma, Parma. Tornados. Earthquakes. Air show disasters. And on and on. But why not? They were all going to be reincarnated anyways.
I'm getting sick of their ugly, disturbed leadership.

Brownie-lover said...

love

Hotels Discount said...

very nice blog...

hi, friend... choose allmaldiveshotels as your favourite website, and get special discount up 75% for the best BOOKING :-)

FREE SPY PHONE said...

free movies

geld-lenen

kinderfietsen verhuur

camouflage kleding

geld verdienen online

name-it gratis

gratis-aanmelden zoekmachines

new-games-and-tricks

free advertising

Free ipad 3

Atta Rehman said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.
Polished concrete sydney

Anonymous said...


The antients used Christinaity to initiate the "Beginnning of The End". Along the way they used it to initiate other tools which they will use to further mankind into decay and towards the Apoocalypse:::USA, "democracy", capitalism/corporations.
Of the tools they have used, religious, political, economic, social is by far the most damaging and seems reserved for those who have experienced each tactic:::
The god's social tool promoted moral decay, whether sexual, behavioral, professional, etc. It created an enviornment where indecency is the norm.

The dogs are dead.
And they're still incurring evil from their prior life(ves).
Junior Seau is a good example::The real, a 20-something in her next life, making progress, so the gods allow her clone host fake to committ suicide, allowing her off the hook incurring evil in her prior life. AND close the restaurant, her legacy in capitalism.
Al Davis should be so lucky.
The antient's leaders, politicians, celebrities, corporate executives, scientists/professionals are clone host fakes, fresh out of high school who woudln't know their ass from a hole in the ground. Without the gods doing their jobs THROUGH THEM they'd only be good for playing with themselves.

Because of their use of clone host fakes the gods have created a blameless society where nobody takes responsibility for the destruction which has occurred.
The BODs, CEOs and wealthy are fakes fresh out of high school, the gods no longer push anyone into it and instead used temptation, and the result is devistation the gods won't "make up" to the disfavored anymore.

There was a very real perception that bi-racial was much worse for the white than it was for the person of color. The liberal culture, which was designed and promoted with the god's tools to achieve their Apocalyptic goals, screamed racism when there was a very reasonable explanation for this reality::::
In this white punishment known as the United States the person of color has already adopted the disfavors/temptations intended for another race. But by associating/mating with a person of color the white is newly adopting the disfavors of another culture.
And this is the reason why people of color are not welcome in the United States. The gods control everything:::The perception they want to create, the thoughts they want you to have.
People of color can't recover from absorbing the temptations from two cultures. And why they become more and more like so many blacks in America:::Veterans at absorbing the temptations of two cultures.
To further illustrate this is why California's educational system/funding was ranked #1 when California was white:::Education being the basis of the affluent economic system. Now even public higher education has become unaffordable.

The gods behave monsterously in the course of managing Planet Earth, matching our decay, but they demand people be good if you are to have a chance to ascend as a child in a future life.
Not only is doing the right things important (praying, attoning for your sins, thinking the right way:::accepting humility, modesty, vulnerability), so is avoiding the wrong things important as well:::"Go and sin no more".
You NEED active parents who share wisdom to have a real chance to ascend into heaven in a future life, and you MUST be a good parent as well to have that opportunity in your next life.

BenJarvus fans said...

Strolling around the atmospheric streets today conveys accurately the feeling one would have once had of being in a Japanese town, which was that of walking along exquisite wooden corridors.

Rehan Ahmed said...

Online Business as low as $1, Join Now and Get Best Business from Home without any work
AllTimeProfit.com